About Me

My photo
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Will be in school forever. Done trying to be a Wendy.

Friday, November 6, 2009

i had a dream last night

Richmond was a lot more impressive. Summertime, powdered-sugar sky, people walking around everywhere. A seaside town. We decided it would be a better-than-OK idea to ride our bikes down to the river, and then into the river. Richmond was full of hills and I was the first out of an assortment of English and French male visitors, touring drummers, and distant relatives to descend toward the river. Fences were painted red, white AND blue as I freewheeled down the dividing lines, around corners, missing cars and screaming at the top of my lungs, past Kat's house to the steepest hill yet. "I can't possibly survive this," I thought as I scraped my Converse along the concrete..."I can't possibly stop like this" the sky opened up to say, a booming voice not unlike the foggy patriarch of childhood religion. "I? You?..Me? Who's up there?"

"'EY 'MILY, 'AAIT 'PPPP" Looking over my shoulder at the brown haired boy, I couldn't tell if he was English or French and if it was the wind or his ELL status that swallowed his words. He was wearing a white t-shirt and jeans and I knew I'd never see him again. I couldn't wait to hit the river on my bicycle, flying high above dented cans, rotten food, patchy shrubbery- hitting the murky green water and holding onto my navy blue bicycle, lifting it victoriously over my head as my "friends" flew above, faces reflecting pure joy, like when consuming the last funnel cake of the season.

We wound up at an alley party. Two guys in the parking lot were working on a robotic sculpture. They billed themselves as Japanese on an art tour, but they must have been living in the Fan for at least seven years. Everyone had already seen their work, partied with them, gotten bored of their efforts, because they didn't move to New York. RVA pretended it was still interesting. I started throwing parts of their robots away and got sucked into a future party nextdoor. I knew it was a future party because there were vehicles from the future outside.

In the future, no one danced. In the future, disco balls are worth buying. In the future, girls wore gold lipstick and kiss each other under folding tables and in dusty attics filled with our new technologies. In the future, you don't have to worry about past and present tense because no one knows how to write properly. No college graduates understand grammar. And certainly no one reads your blog. I flirted a little with a close talker under a folding table and woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

xoxo